Thursday, June 6, 2019

What does summer really look like for a teacher?


https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_h1j1h0Nwp4izLa6AN5TMjN43Mp5aTPs

Hi all!  I'm back.... I’m smiling again and the sun is out!  

I took a very long unplanned break because by January of this year, I really didn't have any energy left to give beyond what my own family and my students needed.  Sounds kind of yucky but it's the truth.  For many reasons that I won't bore you with, I found this year to be particularly tough. Summer break being delayed a week by snow days didn't help... damn Chicago weather.  With that said, I've been on summer break for SIX glorious days and already feel a bit better.  I've slept in a few mornings, read one book for fun, and have been spending time with my family.  Exactly what this girl needed! Okay, still needs...
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1HzJWxKO02zntYfg71ouOPaNDjA83p5l_
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TPCzocdZ2xCkGuxNSs-LuZjXjLzBdjHX
My hope and plan is that next year my school year will be a bit more manageable and calm.  Fingers crossed!  If that is the case and I pray it is, I will be more active in sharing what's happening on my Autism SLP adventure.   I'm also planning on posting a bit this summer to get back in the swing of things as I have quite a few draft posts that I never published. 

So to get back to the question "what does summer really look like for a teacher?" or at least this SLP/teacher?   Yes, it's true, I do get to sleep in as well as do many of the things I love but don't ordinarily get to do during the school year.  Read books for FUN, travel, sleep in, walk my dog everyday, enjoy my fire pit with family/friends or alone with a great book and a glass of wine.  I also do so many things I don't get to do during the school year, like clean out closets, get to the gym multiple times during the week, cook regularly for my family, and most importantly reconnect with good friends.  I also spend a ton of summer working on things for school such as finishing my medicaid billing, planning, organizing, and learning.  I really don't think many people who aren't teachers or who have teachers in their family understand how much a good teacher does during the summer.  Yes, it is an absolute perk to be off and have a flexible schedule in the summer but it's not just well deserved but absolutely needed.  Teaching is caring for young little people that require every ounce of energy, care, love, and skillset we have.  It is 100% well worth it but it's also exhausting physically, mentally, and emotionally.  Teaching is not a job you put away at 5pm but one that you carry everywhere: every school night until 9 or 10pm and Sunday, your dreams, insomnia "events", the shower, your weekends, and your summer.  Truly!  Our students are our kids in so many ways and we don't turn it off with a switch.  With that said, summer is like a dimmer, we turn it way down to replenish, rejuvenate, reconnect, and relax.

This summer I will be doing all of the above things I mentioned with learning being front and center right now.  I love learning! If I ever become stagnant, it is time to leave the field.  "Our" kids deserve it.  This summer I'll be learning a lot more about many SLP related things such as AAC (Augmentative and Alternative communication), SEL (Social Emotional Learning), behavior, and Religion and Culture. 

I'm really excited that after multiple attempts, I was finally able to enroll in a course titled "Religious and Cultural Bus Tour".  Beginning on Monday, I will be back as a student in the classroom for 6 full days of learning about the various religions and cultures of my students and I can't wait!  For the next week or so, I'll be posting about my learning as part of the course I'm taking.  I really hope you'll follow along on this adventure.

Becky



No comments:

Post a Comment