Monday, June 10, 2019

Why do people fear, hate, or discriminate another person that is different than themselves?


Image result for knowledge is power

         Image result for essential question      



My religious literacy course's assignment for today is to develop my essential question for this course...I guess I am trying to figure out, why people fear, hate, or discriminate others because they are different?  This leads to an even bigger question, how do we stop it?  I see fear, hate, and discrimination quite frequently in working with my students with special needs; however I also overhear or note it when making small talk with family, friends, and even random acquaintances when the topic of other cultures and religions comes up.  For whatever reason or as I see it...blessing, I just don't think that way and never have.  When it's in reference to those with special needs, I'm knowledgeable and passionate and have no problem explaining to people why they are wrong, quite passionately.  You have been forewarned...don't ever use the "R" word around me.

                                          Image result for negative comments

When negative comments are made about people of different cultures or religions, I feel strongly this is wrong but I don't always know how to respond or justify why I feel that way.  I often feel confused or upset that people feel so negatively about a person they've never met just because of what they believe, what they are wearing, or how they look.  My hope in taking this course is that I will become more knowledgeable about history, traditions, and religions, the why...so I myself have more knowledge and can in turn help people understand that differences aren't to be feared but rather understood and possibly embraced.           

                                                Image result for knowledge is power                   

Becky                                                                                         



No comments:

Post a Comment