Sunday, October 28, 2018

You get cue cards! You get cue cards! You all get cue cards!

     One of my "go to" tools to supports students is to use visuals.  The visuals I use most often are my lanyard cue cards.   I almost feel naked without them, lol!


       Visuals support so many of our students. We use visuals to teach, to prompt, and/or to remind our students of what is expected.  Classroom rules and/or expectations are often posted but some of our students require more than that. For others, we use visuals to teach or just to remind them of the hidden rules.  

      Here are just a few examples of when I've used my cue cards to support students in just the last week...Here's what they were doing the and cue card I showed them to demonstrate the expected behavior.
  •        rolling around on the carpet → sit on floor
  •        looking out the window → look at board
  •        running around the classroom → sit in chair and/or walk
  •        yelling out answers → raise hand or quiet mouth
  •       grabbing things →  quiet hands or wait
  •       yelling → deep breaths or ask for a break
One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing staff tell my students what NOT to do rather than WHAT TO DO!  If we want people to be successful we should be clear with what we are expecting!!

I recently updated the cue cards for my school district, I'm sharing them with anyone who wants them.  Let's be clear with what is expected!  We use visuals to support ourselves each day.  Why wouldn't offer the same for our students?

You get cue cards, you get cue cards, we all get cue cards! 
6 sets of cue cards or just 1 set of cue cards?  

Print them back to back on card stock, laminate, hole punch, put them on a book ring and USE! :)

Becky






2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting these cards! I have a few students that would really benefit from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I love when we don't have to recreate the wheel. :)

    ReplyDelete